Sunday, March 1, 2009

Phosphorescent - 'To Willie' & Tour Dates

Every blog out there has been talking this guy up. Good friend LEB was the first to point me in the direction of Phosphorescent, his new album "To Willie", and his playing that album live in Brooklyn. I missed it. I had tickets to Robert Earl Keen for the same night. I don't want you guys to make the same mistake. (Was it a mistake? I dunno.) The music blog world has been pretty Ga-Ga for this guy and this album. What do they know, right? But I like me some Willie Nelson and this sounds like it'd be worth checking out.

Muzzle Of Bees call it "so much more than a collection of Willie Nelson cover songs–it is a full-blown new classic."

Stereogum has talks of Matt Houck/Phosphorescent and his tendency toward the cover song,http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif but adds, "He does a nice job with it."

Aquarium Drunkard describes what Houck and his band have accomplished as, "masterfully reinterpreted their selection of songs, maintaining the dignity of the originals while tilting them ever-so-slightly into their own glow."

I'm kind of pissed that I missed the show here. Somebody's gotta go and report back. He's in Chicago this Friday at the Empty Bottle. Tickets here.

A full list of TOUR DATES can be found here. Somebody go see them. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment