Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tom Morello in the movie, 'Made'?


Did everyone else know this? This past weekend I caught the tail end of the movie, 'Made', with Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Famke Janssen, Peter Falk, and others on IFC. I have enjoyed this movie numerous times in the past. I even own it on DVD. Never before had I really watched the credits. This time in passing I see Tom Morello's name pop up when the credits roll as having played the part of "Best Man". Immediately I know who he is. He's the guy at the early bachelor party scene who, after some negotiating, whips out a roll of hundreds and heads off with the blond stripper. I'm baffled at how I repeatedly missed the guitarist from Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, and now headman of The Nightwatchman right in front of me
(not used to seeing him without a hat?).

After some internet research I found out that it is indeed Tom Morello and he is not only in 'Made' but also has a small part in "Iron Man". I knew he'd chipped in on the music to 'Iron Man' but I hadn't realized that he's buddies with Favreau which explains his appearance in these flicks.
I'll take this as a sign that I need to do something I've been meaning to do which is recommend Morello's solo effort The Nightwatchman - The Fabled City.

The album is a departure from some of the guitar elements we grown accustomed to hearing from Morello's in his past projects. Armed primarily with an acoustic guitar we still get some impressive picking from him and we're treated to his own dark vocal offerings. It's a good listen. Go check it out.
I've seen him perform a couple times with Audioslave and can attest to his bringing it on the guitar (anybody that has listened to his work can) and from what I hear his opening act on The Hold Steady tour often stole the show for those dates.

Have a listen.


3 comments:

  1. I saw Tom Morello open for Steve Earle at the Vic last fall, and for Hold Steady just a few weeks ago at HOB. Both shows the headliners could not compare. Whether its stuff off his new solo album, old Rage covers, or fresh renditions of Woody Guthrie's This Land Is My Land, this guy crushes. I mean How do you come on stage after one of Rock's best living guitarist. He gets sounds out of his axe I didn't even know were possible. Also Made is a seriously under-rated flick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MORELLO ARE YOU CRAZY MAN JAJAJJAA YOU THE BEST AGUANTE MORRELLO CARAJOOOOOOOOOO Y LA ARGENTINA TAMBIEN

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOO MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS GRANDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CARAAAAAAAAAAAJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete