Friday, February 20, 2009

Blitzen Trapper @ the Empty Bottle 2/19/09



Sacrificied seeing the opener for grabbing a bite to eat at Moonshine, and then made it just in time for Blitzen Trapper's first song. One of my favorites, 'Stolen Shoes + a Rifle'


Good times, they played as crisp and clear as they sound on their album. My only beef is their inability, or unwillingness, to jam away and rock on with their songs. I know they have another set to play later but come on, I expect a little more out of em. I could listen to the 3 minute versions of the songs on the album. Let loose, solo, go nuts, shit atleast some banter between songs. That said I don't want to make it sound like they played poorly. They still put on a heck of a show. I absolutely loved the bird call they incorporated into 'Furr'. What a great tune anyway. If you havent heard it look it up. Our friend CLO describes it like this,

"I hear that song and I feel like I'm riding through a field on a tandem bike, maybe a girl is with, me maybe not, but either way I just feel good."

Very true. It is one of those songs you just hear and you're in a good mood, it makes you feel like you're walking around in a movie when you hear it. All the side instrumentation was my favorite part.

Whether the bird call whistle, the recorder esque sound maker the guitarist had in his back pocket, maracas, or other various nature sounds or vibrations I was thrilled. Lead singer really expresses his full vocals with intense wails to start off 'Love U'...

Any way it was an impressive show just lacked anything exceptional. Here is the set list. We got a hold of the onstage set list (pictured at the top of this post) from a fellow blogger. We had our own, made the old fashioned way, by listening and taking notes with a pen and paper.

Anyone happen to check out the later show? or the opener that we missed?


1. Stolen Shoes + A Rifle
2. Sleepytime in the Western World
3. God + Suicide
4. Saturday Night
5. Furr
6. Lady on the Water
7. Country Caravan
8. Black River Killer
9. Murder Babe
10. Big Black Bird
11. Gold for Bread
12. Jericho
13. Love U
14. Echo
15. Asleep for Days
16. Fire and Fast Bullets
17. Canyon's Edge
18. Wild Mtn Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment