Friday, September 11, 2009

Deer Tick and Jonny Corndawg @ Bottom Lounge, Chicago 9/10/09 (pics and videos)

Deer Tick
Jonny Corndawg and Deer Tick played last night at Bottom Lounge in front of a good sized and enthusiastic Chicago crowd.

I missed Jonny Corndawg out in Brooklyn and was happy to catch his set of foot stompin' country and ever present sense of humor.

I'd seen Deer Tick earlier this summer when he opened for Grace Potter at Prospect Park, but it was a much more high energy crowd last night and the band responded accordingly.

Read the full review of the show and see the pictures and videos from the night BELOW.

Johnny Corndawg
After almost not being allowed into the bar because of a mix-up w/ security Jonny Corndawg took the stage and eased into a rather humorous selection for an opener. He covered Deanna Carter's "Strawberry Wine". Pretty funny pick for a guy that would later proclaim his mission to "save country music."

Anyway it got things started off rather fittingly. I'd never seen Corndawg before but I found my self dancing and laughing for much of his set. With songs about remembering to put out the trash, car rides with your spouse, and how to keep your body happy it was a fun performance. The humor didn't take away from the playing and singing. Song topics may have been all over the place, but the playing was impressive and even moreso since he had on like five shirts that he eased his left arm out of one at a time.

I should also note that anyone who knows Riley and my older brother will notice that Corndawg bears a striking resemblance to what Big Bro looked like maybe 5-8 years ago. The same temporal receding hairline and the straight across no sideburns cut. The resemblance was eerie.

Johnny Corndawg
Johnny Corndawg

John McCauley from Deer Tick joined Corndawg on stage for one tune, but it wasn't until about 11 when the Deer Tick set would officially begin. When it did the crowd was treated to a pretty impressive rendition of "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" done in the voices of Louie Armstrong, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, and Angus Young (among others...who am I missing?). From there Deer Tick never looked back. They broke into a quick "Who Do You Love?" right into "Spend The Night". The grizzled voice of McCauley tool us through a number of their favorites (Ashamed, Dirty Dishes, Smith Hill, These Old Shoes) all the while working on his cocktail and pouring Jack Daniels into the mouths of the first row. It was a lengthy set that I don't think any in the audience wanted to end.

McCauley mentioned something about heroes, real heroes and introduced Deer Tick's cover of "White Freightliner Blues" as being by one of his heroes, Townes Van Zandt.

I know I'm missing some more highlights from this show, but take a look at the pics and the videos. You'll get the idea and be sure to catch both these acts when they swing through town next time. -JL

Jonny Corndawg - "Keep Your Body Happy Through Exercise"


Johnny Corndawg
Johnny Corndawg

Deer Tick - "Who Do You Love >> Spend The Night"


Deer Tick - "White Freightliner Blues"


Deer Tick - "Ashamed"


Deer Tick - "Diamond Rings"


Deer Tick
Deer Tick
Deer Tick
Deer Tick
Deer Tick

Digg! Digg this | Post to del.icio.us | facebook Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Monday is the day that the trash goes out/I can't forget/Oh my god/I better make a list...Then Monday morning I wake up as the truck rolls by/Oh my god/She's gonna be so goddamn mad at me/When she gets home/Oh my god

    ReplyDelete